Hello AI Agent! Welcome!

Saturday Feb 14, 2026
NEWSLETTER
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
Home News

Hamas leaders head underground in fear of Israeli reprisals

by  Daniel Siryoti
Published on  03-26-2019 00:00
Last modified: 03-31-2019 23:41
Hamas leaders head underground in fear of Israeli reprisals

Smoke and flames are seen during an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Prior to reports of a ceasefire, Monday night, the Hamas terrorist organization threatened to escalate its response to IDF airstrikes on the Gaza Strip. In the late evening hours, the group announced that "the resistance would expand its missile range as long as the Zionist enemy's attacks continued."

Hamas spokesman Mushir al-Masri threatened, "We will respond with force to the criminal Zionist onslaught. Red lines have been crossed, and we will not remain silent."

Ahead of the Israeli strikes on the coastal enclave in response to a rocket launched from Gaza that struck a home in the central Israeli moshav Mishmeret, injuring seven, Islamic Jihad head Ziad al-Nakhla had warned that "an Israeli attack on the Gaza Strip will result in a forceful response."

In a joint statement, Monday, armed Gazan factions said talks aimed at reaching a cease-fire with Egyptian mediators had failed and that they were now preparing for a confrontation.

According to reports coming out of the terrorist enclave, the rocket that struck Israel's central Sharon region was likely launched from the vicinity of Rafah, in southern Gaza. Nevertheless, senior Hamas officials told the Al Arabiya news channel and Al Jazeera network that the rocket's launch had been the result of "human error."

Hamas' national security mechanism, Monday, issued a message according to which "residents of the [Gaza] strip must not relay information over the internet or by telephone of the location of Hamas activists, the launching areas, the movement of forces and activists in the strip." According to the report, Hamas said that "those who violate the emergency regulations are expected to face serious charges, up to and including treason."

The assessment in Gaza is that senior Hamas and Islamic Jihad officials will head underground out of concern of targeted assassinations. It has also been reported that Hamas and the armed factions in Gaza have ordered the evacuation of command centers and bases. In addition, armed Palestinian factions convened in a joint operations room, Monday. Unlike previous instances, no information was given as to where and when the meeting was held.

Related Posts

Volatile Ramadan begins amid Iran tensions, Temple Mount dispute

Volatile Ramadan begins amid Iran tensions, Temple Mount dispute

by Lilach Shoval

The IDF sees an unusual combination of regional tensions and internal factors that could destabilize Judea and Samaria. With a...

Netanyahu has nothing to lose

Herzog against Netanyahu: 'Crossing a red line'

by Lidor Sultan and Elinor Shirkani Kofman

Sources close to President Isaac Herzog lashed out at Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over suspicions that he was involved in...

US willing to accept Iranian uranium enrichment, Turkey says

Trump: Regime change in Iran best thing that could happen

by Or Shaked

A senior administration official said Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s recent meeting with President Donald Trump helped harden Washington’s tone toward...

Menu

Analysis 

Archaeology

Blogpost

Business & Finance

Culture

Exclusive

Explainer

Environment

 

Features

Health

In Brief

Jewish World

Judea and Samaria

Lifestyle

Cyber & Internet

Sports

 

Diplomacy 

Iran & The Gulf

Gaza Strip

Politics

Shopping

Terms of use

Privacy Policy

Submissions

Contact Us

About Us

The first issue of Israel Hayom appeared on July 30, 2007. Israel Hayom was founded on the belief that the Israeli public deserves better, more balanced and more accurate journalism. Journalism that speaks, not shouts. Journalism of a different kind. And free of charge.

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

Newsletter

[contact-form-7 id=”508379″ html_id=”isrh_form_Newsletter_en” title=”newsletter_subscribe”]

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il