Hezbollah on Thursday claimed responsibility for laying an explosive device that wounded four Israeli soldiers from the Golani Brigade Tuesday night. The incident took place just north of the Israel-Lebanon border, near the village of Labbouneh.
Hezbollah's Al-Manar television network claimed that the Israeli troops were 400 meters (1,300 feet) inside Lebanon and were hit while on a covert mission.
Senior Hezbollah officials told Lebanese newspaper Al-Akhbar that the Israeli force was hit by two roadside bombs, each of which contained four smaller explosive devices that detonated in succession. Other Lebanese media outlets cited senior members of the Shiite terror group, who warned that continued Israel Defense Forces operations in Lebanese territory would lead to Israeli troops getting hurt or abducted. A spokesperson for the Western Galilee Medical Center in Nahariya said that as of Friday morning only one soldier was still hospitalized, while the other three had been released to their homes. All four soldiers suffered shrapnel wounds in the incident.
On Thursday, the U.N. peacekeeping force monitoring the Israeli-Lebanese border launched an investigation into the explosion.
According to a statement released on Wednesday, the U.N. Interim Force in Lebanon said it received a report from the Lebanese Armed Forces that an IDF patrol had crossed the Blue Line -- the internationally recognized border -- on Tuesday night near the village of Labbouneh, and that subsequently there had been an explosion.
The press release stated that UNIFIL had immediately launched an investigation into the alleged violation of Security Council resolution 1701, which ended the 2006 war between Israel and the Lebanese terror group Hezbollah, and called for both sides to respect the U.N.-designated Blue Line, to disarm all militias in Lebanon, and to end arms smuggling in the area.