Israel has evidence of numerous telephone calls between Lebanon and Burgas in the two months leading up to the July 18 bombing in which five Israeli tourists were killed, a senior Israeli government official told the New York Times.
The official said that the volume of the calls increased in the three days before the bombing at the Burgas Airport.
“We know the sources in Lebanon,” the official was quoted as saying. The official added that the identities of those on the Bulgaria end of the calls have not been identified.
"They shouldn’t know that we know the numbers in Lebanon,” the official said.
Israel has said that Iran and Hezbollah orchestrated the Burgas attack.
American and Bulgarian officials support Israel's assessment off the record, but won't say so publicly, the New York Times report said.
Bulgarian officials have not yet determined the identities of the terrorist killed in the attack and any possible accomplices. According to the report, Bulgaria is hesitant to blame Hezbollah for the attack without concrete evidence.
A senior German security official said that European countries are skeptical that Hezbollah itself was behind the attack. Rather, he said, it might have been "Iran, using individuals with some Hezbollah affiliation."
Shortly after the Burgas attack, a senior U.S. official said that the American intelligence assessment was that the terrorist was "acting under broad guidance" to strike Israeli targets when opportunities arose and that this guidance had been given to Hezbollah by Iran.