Thursday Feb 19, 2026
NEWSLETTER
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
Home News Middle East Iran & The Gulf

US tightens noose around Iran with largest air buildup since 2003

President Donald Trump has yet to decide whether to order a strike on Iran and what its objective would be, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal. American officials said that unlike the limited strike carried out in June against three Iranian nuclear sites, the current deployment would allow the US to wage a sustained air campaign lasting weeks or even months.

by  ILH Staff
Published on  02-19-2026 13:43
Last modified: 02-19-2026 13:43
What we know about the massive US military buildup in the Middle East

What we know about the massive US military buildup in the Middle East. Photo: INSS/AP/EPA

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Wall Street Journal reported that in recent days the US has sent a significant number of fighter jets and support aircraft to the Middle East, bringing its aerial presence in the region to its largest scale since the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

According to the report, Trump has not yet made a final decision on whether to launch an attack on Iran, and if so, whether the goal would be to halt the Islamic Republic's nuclear program, damage its ballistic missile array or even attempt to destabilize the regime in Tehran.

Among the aircraft deployed to the region are advanced F-35 and F-22 fighter jets, alongside command-and-control planes and electronic warfare aircraft. The aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln is already operating in the theater, while a second carrier, the USS Gerald R. Ford, is en route with its strike group. Advanced air defense systems have also been positioned.

Trump weighs military strike in Iran. Photo: AFP, EPA

US officials said that unlike the targeted June strike on three Iranian nuclear facilities, the current force posture would enable Washington to conduct a prolonged aerial campaign lasting weeks and possibly months.

At the same time as the military buildup, diplomatic contacts are continuing. US and Iranian representatives met this week in Geneva to discuss uranium enrichment. White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said there had been "some progress," but acknowledged that significant gaps remain between the sides. Iran is expected to submit a more detailed proposal in the coming weeks, the report said.

Trump has received several briefings on military options, including a broad campaign aimed at striking Iran's political and military leadership, or alternatively a more focused attack on nuclear facilities and ballistic missile sites. Both options could unfold over an extended period.

The president has signaled that he would prefer a diplomatic deal that would bring Iran's nuclear program to an end. However, officials within the administration and among US allies, including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, are pressing to intensify military pressure on Tehran, particularly to stop its production of ballistic missiles.

The US military is seen as holding a significant advantage due to its stealth capabilities and precision strike capacity, especially after Iran's air defense systems were damaged in Israeli strikes last year. Still, Iran retains a substantial missile arsenal and could threaten US bases and allied targets, as well as attempt to disrupt shipping in the Strait of Hormuz.

According to the report, the administration has not yet formulated a clear assessment of a post-strike scenario, including the question of who might succeed Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei if the regime were destabilized.

Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei is seen against a backdrop of Tehran and Iranian missiles. Photo: AP, IDF Spokesperson, Reuters

American and foreign officials cited in the report expressed doubt that Iran would fully comply with US demands. Trump has repeatedly warned that if negotiations fail, the US will act militarily. "I don't think they want to bear the consequences of not reaching a deal," he said this week.

Meanwhile, US Senator Lindsey Graham, who visited the United Arab Emirates this week, told Sky News Arabia that "a decision has been made" in Washington regarding Iran.

"All these ships didn't come here just because of the nice weather this time of year," Graham said.

Related Posts

Iran buries sensitive facilities as tensions with US escalateInstitute for Science and International Security (ISIS)

Iran buries sensitive facilities as tensions with US escalate

by Adi Nirman

Satellite data exposes Iranian efforts to fortify infrastructure and restore missile capabilities amid stalled negotiations.

Report: '90% chance' of US kinetic action on Iran

Report: '90% chance' of US kinetic action on Iran

by Neta Bar

Axios reported, citing sources close to President Donald Trump, that a potential US strike on Iran would not be short...

This is the date Iran strike odds are surging towardAFP

This is the date Iran strike odds are surging toward

by ILH Staff

Israel's former Military Intelligence chief rattled the country with a live-air travel alert. The world's largest prediction market is pointing...

Menu

Analysis 

Archaeology

Blogpost

Business & Finance

Culture

Exclusive

Explainer

Environment

 

Features

Health

In Brief

Jewish World

Judea and Samaria

Lifestyle

Cyber & Internet

Sports

 

Diplomacy 

Iran & The Gulf

Gaza Strip

Politics

Shopping

Terms of use

Privacy Policy

Submissions

Contact Us

About Us

The first issue of Israel Hayom appeared on July 30, 2007. Israel Hayom was founded on the belief that the Israeli public deserves better, more balanced and more accurate journalism. Journalism that speaks, not shouts. Journalism of a different kind. And free of charge.

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

Newsletter

[contact-form-7 id=”508379″ html_id=”isrh_form_Newsletter_en” title=”newsletter_subscribe”]

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il