A debate is underway at the highest levels of the US administration over whether to grant Iran more time before it submits a serious proposal meeting Washington's demands on its nuclear program, even as preparations continue for possible military action.
Despite the dispute, the next round of talks is expected to proceed even without a detailed Iranian offer in advance. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has said he may meet US envoy Steve Witkoff in Geneva on Thursday. Israel Hayom previously reported that Tehran conveyed a message to Washington addressing the nuclear issue and linking it to a timetable for lifting sanctions imposed on the Islamic Republic.

A senior US official said the immediate American response was to demand a serious and detailed proposal outlining Iran's position on the nuclear file, alongside a readiness to engage immediately on other issues. Araghchi has since indicated he would present a more flexible and detailed proposal at the next meeting than the one submitted previously.
The internal debate centers both on whether to require Iran to submit its proposal before any meeting takes place, as a precondition, and on how to manage negotiations over non-nuclear matters. The emerging decision appears to be to hold the talks as a final opportunity for Tehran to put forward an acceptable offer.
Divisions in Trump's inner circle
Israel Hayom has reported on differing approaches within President Donald Trump's circle. On one side are Jared Kushner and Steve Witkoff, the president's personal envoys, who believe there is still a chance, however slim, of reaching an agreement that would prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons and also restrict its activities in other fronts.
On the other side are Secretary of State Marco Rubio and War Secretary Pete Hegseth, along with Vice President JD Vance, who view regime change in Tehran as a central US strategic objective. In their assessment, the likelihood of a durable agreement is extremely low and even if reached, Iran would violate it. Trump is seen as leaning toward this position, though he has allowed Witkoff and Kushner to continue diplomatic efforts.

According to the senior US official, high-ranking figures at the State Department and the War Department have criticized the way the negotiations with Iran are being conducted. They argue that, in contrast to statements by Trump and other senior officials, Iranian representatives in the talks do not appear to grasp the seriousness of the military threat or the magnitude of the consequences of a US strike.
"Such overwhelming military power should have brought Araghchi to the table ready to discuss everything America wants, and that's not happening," the official said.
The impression in the negotiating room, the official added, is that the military buildup is intended primarily as leverage, and that in practice a deal can be struck with Witkoff and Kushner and then presented to the president as an achievement. Trump, the official said, has heard all sides and is expected to decide within the next 24 hours whether to send Witkoff to Geneva even without receiving a detailed Iranian proposal in advance.
Between diplomacy and military threat
Assessments in both Israel and the US are that even if Iran shows further flexibility on the nuclear issue, it is unlikely to meet Washington's declared minimum threshold. Iran's refusal to discuss other matters is seen as increasing the likelihood of a US strike, even if initially limited in scope, intended as a warning shot to demonstrate that Trump is serious about his threats.
Officials familiar with the discussions believe Iran will seek to buy as much time as possible, both to better prepare for a potential attack and in the hope that Trump will conclude that the consequences of military action outweigh its benefits.

The senior US official, however, said Trump sees matters differently. The president believes regime change can serve as a regional strategic tool and is waiting for the right timing and optimal conditions. Within the administration, multiple teams are working on plans for steps that could lead to the regime's collapse following a strike, as well as on cultivating figures who could assume power in order to prevent chaos.
Meanwhile, information emerging from inside Iran points to ongoing unrest in several parts of the country. One of the main centers of protest is on university campuses, where students have gathered, chanted against the regime and carried signs calling for change and freedom. Additional flashpoints have been reported in peripheral cities, in Kurdistan in the north, in the Baluchistan region in the east and in other areas.



