Israel Hayom is a media organization founded on the belief that the Israeli public deserves better journalism—more balanced, more accurate, and more reliable. Journalism that speaks rather than shouts. Journalism that is trustworthy, objective, and matter-of-fact. A different kind of journalism, offered free of charge. The first print edition was published on July 30, 2007, and in 2010 Israel Hayom became the Israeli newspaper with the highest weekday readership. The newspaper’s publisher is Dr. Miriam Adelson. Its Editor-in-Chief is Omar Lachmanovitch, and its founding editor is Amos Regev. Israel Hayom’s Hebrew and English websites, as well as its Android and iOS applications, provide around-the-clock news coverage, exclusive content, breaking news and updates, analysis and commentary, video, podcasts, and live broadcasts. The digital platforms of Israel Hayom include news and opinion channels covering culture and entertainment, lifestyle, technology, sports, business and consumer affairs, health, military affairs, food, Judaism, tourism, and automobiles. In 2021, a new Hebrew-language website and mobile application were launched to provide users with a fast, up-to-date, secure, and convenient experience. The content of the newspaper’s print edition is also available online through a daily digital edition and can be received via newsletter. “The Israel Hayom Clique,” the publication’s exclusive benefits club, offers website users discounts and special promotions on products and services. Israel Hayom welcomes feedback, criticism, and suggestions for improvement from its readers. You can contact the organization by email at hayom@israelhayom.co.il

Tuesday Aug 11, 2026
NEWSLETTER
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
Home News

Hezbollah says rocket attack on Golan Heights marks 'new phase'

by  Eli Leon , Daniel Siryoti , News Agencies and ILH Staff
Published on  05-15-2018 00:00
Last modified: 04-01-2021 13:54
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah said a missile salvo from Syria into the Israeli Golan Heights last week marked a "new phase" in the Syrian war, demonstrating that Damascus and its allies will no longer tolerate Israeli attacks in Syria.

Israel has said the attack from Syrian territory was carried out by Iran's Revolutionary Guards, which established the Shiite militia Hezbollah in Lebanon in 1982. Iranian forces and Hezbollah have deployed in Syria to support Syrian President Bashar Assad in a civil war that began in 2011.

Israel said it bombed nearly all of Iran's military infrastructure in Syria in response to the rocket salvo, which represented the first time Iranian forces directly fired at Israeli territory in the most violent military exchange between the foes in recent decades.

In a televised speech on Monday, Nasrallah claimed 55 missiles were fired at the Golan, Tiberias and Safed in Thursday's attack – nearly three times more than the 20 missiles Israeli media reported had been fired at Israel. None of the rockets hit Israeli targets, however, with some landing inside Syria and others intercepted by Israeli missile defense systems.

Nasrallah did not say whether Hezbollah had played a role in the rocket attack, which he said was a retaliation for "Israel's continued aggression against Syria."

"The message delivered … is that neither the Syrian leadership, nor the Syrian army, nor the Syrian people, nor the allies of Syria will allow Syria to remain exposed to Israeli attacks, and they are ready to go to the furthest extent," he said.

Israel, which fears Iran and Hezbollah are turning Syria into a new front against it, has struck targets in the country many times during the war, targeting Hezbollah and Iranian positions.

"Israel had tried to disguise the scale of the attack," he said, maintaining the rocket attack had set the stage for "an entirely new phase."

"You as an enemy will not be able to continue to target Syria and the axis of resistance [Iran, Hezbollah and Syria] without retaliation," he said, adding, "This qualitative rocket attack establishes … a completely new phase" in the conflict with Israel.

Nasrallah went on to say that Israel has downplayed its losses in the strikes, in which he claimed 55 rockets hit military targets in the Golan. Israel had said it downed 20 rockets coming from Syria.

Nasrallah said Israel had not struck strategically significant targets during its attacks in Syria, which he said mostly hit a number of posts in Syria that had already been evacuated. He said Syrian air defenses downed a number of Israel's missiles.

He said the barrage "broke the prestige" of Israel and that the attack, Israel's response and its response against Gaza protests on Monday show it is far from ready to face its opponents.

"If anyone is afraid of war in the region, it is Israel," Nasrallah said. He said Israel's home front was not prepared for a military confrontation with Hezbollah.

"If we launch missiles at Israel [again], Israeli society will collapse."

Ahead of last week's attack, Iran had vowed to respond to an Israeli attack which it said had killed seven of its military personnel at a Syrian air base in April.

Addressing Israel, Nasrallah said: "If you thought that you could kill and bomb without receiving a response, then you are wrong and misguided, and the response will be in the appropriate form and time."

Israel said the attack was carried out by the Quds Force, an external arm of Iran's Revolutionary Guards. The White House said Iran's deployment of offensive rocket and missile systems in Syria aimed at Israel was "an unacceptable and highly dangerous development for the entire Middle East.

He added that a message had been delivered to Israel via an international party that if it crossed "red lines" then the next bombardment would strike deep inside Israel.

Nasrallah did not spell out what the "red lines" were.

He also blasted Bahrain's foreign minister, calling him an "idiot" and a "traitor" for supporting Israel's right to respond to the barrage of rockets coming from Syria.

Nasrallah called the creation of Israel 70 years ago a "mark of shame" for humanity.

He said U.S. and Israeli pressure on Iran was not just because of its nuclear program, but in essence because of its support of the Palestinians and other "resistance" groups. He urged the Palestinians not to accept any new U.S. peace plans.

Earlier on Monday, Nasrallah's deputy, Sheikh Naim Qassem, said the attack had affirmed "the balance of deterrence" between Israel and its adversaries.

Related Posts

Israel plans $133B military buildup, but who will pay?

Israel plans $133B military buildup, but who will pay?

by Nitzan Cohen

Israel's defense budget has reached a record NIS 184 billion ($61 billion), while its long-term military buildup plan has grown...

Arab state urged another to make peace with Israel as cover for war

Arab state urged another to make peace with Israel as cover for war

by ILH Staff

The proposal was made to another Arab country during discussions over a possible agreement with Israel, with censorship restrictions prohibiting...

Espionage

Shadow empire: Europe's top intelligence agency revealed

by ILH Staff

The French magazine L’Express assembled 60 intelligence experts from 25 countries to determine which spy agency is Europe’s best. Britain’s...

Menu

Analysis 

Archaeology

Blogpost

Business & Finance

Culture

Exclusive

Explainer

Environment

 

Features

Health

In Brief

Jewish World

Judea and Samaria

Lifestyle

Cyber & Internet

Sports

 

Diplomacy 

Iran & The Gulf

Gaza Strip

Politics

Shopping

Terms of use

Privacy Policy

Submissions

Contact Us

About Us

The first issue of Israel Hayom appeared on July 30, 2007. Israel Hayom was founded on the belief that the Israeli public deserves better, more balanced and more accurate journalism. Journalism that speaks, not shouts. Journalism of a different kind. And free of charge.

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

Newsletter

[contact-form-7 id=”508379″ html_id=”isrh_form_Newsletter_en” title=”newsletter_subscribe”]

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il