Israel Hayom is a media organization founded on the belief that the Israeli public deserves better journalism—more balanced, more accurate, and more reliable. Journalism that speaks rather than shouts. Journalism that is trustworthy, objective, and matter-of-fact. A different kind of journalism, offered free of charge. The first print edition was published on July 30, 2007, and in 2010 Israel Hayom became the Israeli newspaper with the highest weekday readership. The newspaper’s publisher is Dr. Miriam Adelson. Its Editor-in-Chief is Omar Lachmanovitch, and its founding editor is Amos Regev. Israel Hayom’s Hebrew and English websites, as well as its Android and iOS applications, provide around-the-clock news coverage, exclusive content, breaking news and updates, analysis and commentary, video, podcasts, and live broadcasts. The digital platforms of Israel Hayom include news and opinion channels covering culture and entertainment, lifestyle, technology, sports, business and consumer affairs, health, military affairs, food, Judaism, tourism, and automobiles. In 2021, a new Hebrew-language website and mobile application were launched to provide users with a fast, up-to-date, secure, and convenient experience. The content of the newspaper’s print edition is also available online through a daily digital edition and can be received via newsletter. “The Israel Hayom Clique,” the publication’s exclusive benefits club, offers website users discounts and special promotions on products and services. Israel Hayom welcomes feedback, criticism, and suggestions for improvement from its readers. You can contact the organization by email at hayom@israelhayom.co.il

Sunday Jul 19, 2026
NEWSLETTER
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
Home News

UN official warns of looming flare-up between Israel, Palestinians

While UN Special Coordinator for the Peace Process Tor Wennesland urged steps to prevent "another destructive and bloody round of violence," Russia used the UN Security Council's monthly meeting on the Situation in the Middle East to call for Palestinian factions Fatah and Hamas to reunite.

by  Mike Wagenheim , JNS and ILH Staff
Published on  12-23-2021 08:01
Last modified: 05-01-2022 13:16
UN official warns of looming flare-up between Israel, Palestinians

UN Special Coordinator for the Peace Process Tor Wennesland in Jerusalem, March 21, 2021 (GPO/Mark Neyman)

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Increased violence between Israelis and Palestinians in Jerusalem as well as Judea and Samaria could spark another Gaza war, UN Special Coordinator for the Peace Process Tor Wennesland said on Tuesday.

Follow Israel Hayom on Facebook and Twitter 

"If left unchecked, I am concerned that not only may the situation in the West Bank further deteriorate, but these dynamics could also impact the security situation in Gaza and undermine the cessation of hostilities that has held since May 2021," Wennesland told the UN Security Council's monthly meeting on the "Situation in the Middle East, including the Palestinian Question?" in comments made virtually from Jerusalem.

In Wennesland's estimation, Israelis and Palestinians could be facing "another destructive and bloody round of violence. We must act now to prevent that from happening." While the Israeli government attempted to calm tensions with the White House by deciding earlier this month to halt advancement of a building project in its own capital, citing the need for an environmental study on the matter, the Kenyan and French representatives at Tuesday's meeting complained about the lack of containment of settlement activity.

The Security Council meeting is part of a monthly routine at the United Nations where member states routinely point the finger squarely at Israel for the lack of progress on the peace process. At the meeting in October, US Ambassador to the UN Linda Thomas-Greenfield rebuked the Council for its disproportionate focus on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

"This council spends a great deal of time on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, which is both understandable and consistent with the agenda. But far too often, the substance of these discussions is centered almost entirely around criticism of Israel and counterattacks," she said in her remarks.

Nevertheless, Council members took Israel to task for policies towards the Palestinians.

The Irish representative warned of a possible Israeli-forced transfer of Palestinians from Judea and Samaria. This comes at the same time that record numbers of building permits have been issued to Palestinians, including in Israeli-controlled Area C of Judea and Samaria. Israel's government is also issuing increased work permits to Palestinians, including to Gazans, and the Israeli Palestinian Joint Economic Committee is set to meet for the first time in years in order to prop up the Palestinian Authority.

Outside of that, Russia used its platform at Tuesday's session to call for Fatah and Hamas – the Palestinian factions that run the Palestinian Authority and Gaza, respectively – to reunite, with Moscow offering to broker that process. Russia, which has essentially told the international community to stay out of its standoff with Ukraine, also said it supports P.A. President Mahmoud Abbas's call for an international conference to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Elsewhere on Tuesday, and with little fanfare, the Security Council unanimously renewed the expiring mandate of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) for six months. UNDOF is the longstanding UN peacekeeping force that patrols the Israeli-Syrian border in the Golan Heights. The renewal came without controversy or substantive disagreement, and is a technical rollover of the previous mandate.

The UN Secretary-General's most recent report on UNDOF's activities, issued in September, noted that while the ceasefire between Israel and Syria was generally being maintained, ongoing violations of the 1974 Disengagement of Forces Agreement persist – including firing by Israeli forces over the ceasefire line, the presence of Syrian forces in the area of separation and the existence of unauthorized weapons in the limitation area, creating a potential volatile security situation.

Speaking at the Golan Heights Conference on Economics and Regional Development in October, Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett told participants that "the Golan Heights is Israeli, full stop" and that "the horrors taking place in Syria make it seem as if it would be preferable for the Golan to prosper under Israeli hands."

Bennett argued that would be the case even if the situation in Syria changed or if other countries' diplomatic relations with the current government in Damascus improved. Bennett's statement came in the context of false reports in June that the US – a co-penholder on the UNDOF file – intended to rescind its recognition of Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights. In March 2019, then-US President Donald Trump signed a presidential proclamation recognizing Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights, making the US the only UN member state to do so. The State Department affirmed this policy under questioning in June, though Secretary of State Antony Blinken has intimated in the past that Israeli control over the Golan Heights is a necessity in light of the current security and geopolitical situation, leaving open for interpretation whether changes on those fronts might alter the policy of the Biden administration.

Subscribe to Israel Hayom's daily newsletter and never miss our top stories!

Bennett also announced that Israel intended to build new settlements in the area, with the aim of doubling or even quadrupling the size of the Israeli population in the Golan Heights. He added that a plan that will "change the face of the Golan Heights" would be put forward in November or December, though no such plan has emerged yet.

Perhaps most dramatically, Medhat al-Saleh, the director of the Golan Affairs department at the Syrian prime minister's office and a former Syrian parliamentarian representing the Druze minority in the Golan Heights, was assassinated by sniper fire in mid-October in the town of Ein el-Tinneh, a village inside Syria near the line of separation. Though no actors have claimed responsibility, the Syrian government maintains that Israel was behind the assassination. Israeli defense officials have said that al-Saleh had been working with Iran to enhance Iran's presence along the Syrian-Israeli border.

Reprinted with permission from JNS.org.

 

Related Posts

Inside the Israeli Air Force's hunt for Iran's launchers

Israel prepares for possible escalation with Iran in coming days

by Shirit Avitan Cohen

Amid the escalation between Washington and Tehran, dozens of US military refueling aircraft have deployed to Ovda and Ramon air...

Blood, fire and regulation: The drone revolution reshaping emergency response

Israel weighs nationwide 6-month ban on private drones

by Ariel Kahana

The dramatic proposal would close Israel’s airspace to privately operated drones as security officials warn of “a threat humanity has...

US shifts course, strikes strategic bridges leading to Bandar Abbas

US shifts course, strikes strategic bridges leading to Bandar Abbas

by Dudi Kogan

At least seven bridges, a railway junction and an observation tower were targeted in southern Iran. US Central Command says...

Menu

Analysis 

Archaeology

Blogpost

Business & Finance

Culture

Exclusive

Explainer

Environment

 

Features

Health

In Brief

Jewish World

Judea and Samaria

Lifestyle

Cyber & Internet

Sports

 

Diplomacy 

Iran & The Gulf

Gaza Strip

Politics

Shopping

Terms of use

Privacy Policy

Submissions

Contact Us

About Us

The first issue of Israel Hayom appeared on July 30, 2007. Israel Hayom was founded on the belief that the Israeli public deserves better, more balanced and more accurate journalism. Journalism that speaks, not shouts. Journalism of a different kind. And free of charge.

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

Newsletter

[contact-form-7 id=”508379″ html_id=”isrh_form_Newsletter_en” title=”newsletter_subscribe”]

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il