Sunday Aug 23, 2026
NEWSLETTER
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
Home News

UNRWA: If US pulls funding, impact on Palestinians could be 'catastrophic'

by  Reuters and Israel Hayom Staff
Published on  01-14-2018 00:00
Last modified: 12-23-2019 10:29
UNRWA: If US pulls funding, impact on Palestinians could be 'catastrophic'

UNRWA's headquarters in the Gaza Strip

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Losing significant funding from its largest donor, the United States, could be "catastrophic" for Palestinians, said a U.N. agency that provides aid to Palestinian refugees.

Last week, President Donald Trump said the United States may withhold future aid payments to the U.N. Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees over what he called the Palestinians' unwillingness to talk peace with Israel.

A State Department official later said that no decision had been made on payment.

The United States is the largest donor to the agency, with a pledge of nearly $370 million as of 2016, according to UNRWA's website.

The U.N. agency, founded in 1949 to aid Palestinian refugees, provides educational and health services in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank.

"The human impact of losing significant funding could be catastrophic in the real lives of real people whom the U.N. is mandated to protect," UNRWA spokesman Chris Gunness said over the weekend.

"Palestine refugees are among some of the most vulnerable people in the Middle East. Our health services offer a lifeline, quite literally, to vulnerable women and children, the sick and the elderly," he said.

On Tuesday, Swedish Ambassador to the United Nations Olof Skoog said he was concerned that a withdrawal of funding for UNRWA "would be very negative both in terms of humanitarian needs of over 5 million people but also, of course, it would be destabilizing for the region."

Gunness said there was much at stake for the Palestinians.

"Even the most modest shock in a fragile society can have an inordinate impact and the consequences could be profound, widespread, dramatic and unpredictable," he said.

Relations between the Palestinians and Washington soured last month after Trump announced the U.S. would recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital, generating outrage across the Arab world and concern among Washington's Western allies.

Palestinians want east Jerusalem as the capital of a state they seek to establish in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

U.S. State Department spokesman Steve Goldstein told a briefing in Washington on Thursday that U.S. funding for UNRWA was still under consideration and that no decision had yet been made.

Related Posts

Could Tehran try to disrupt the US midterms with a preemptive strikeSamuel Corum/Getty Images/AFP; EPA/ABEDIN TAHERKENAREH; KHAMENEI.IR / AFP

Could Tehran try to disrupt the US midterms with a preemptive strike

by Erez Linn

Tehran believes it is winning, The Washington Post columnist Marc A. Thiessen writes. Iranian leaders may have concluded that Trump...

Israel fears Russia may transfer advanced cyber capabilities to IranGetty Images

Iran-linked hackers knock UK power plant offline in cyber attack

by Adi Nirman

A small-scale generator was taken offline for four days last month, with officials stressing the wider energy grid was never...

Netanyahu draws red line: No Turkish troops in GazaEPA/MOHAMMED SABER; Kayhan Ozer/Pool Photo via AP; Yonatan Sindel/Flash90

Turkey launches Interpol pursuit of Netanyahu over Gaza aid flotilla

by Erez Linn

Justice minister confirms legal push against 35 individuals connected to the Global Sumud Flotilla interception.

Menu

Analysis 

Archaeology

Blogpost

Business & Finance

Culture

Exclusive

Explainer

Environment

 

Features

Health

In Brief

Jewish World

Judea and Samaria

Lifestyle

Cyber & Internet

Sports

 

Diplomacy 

Iran & The Gulf

Gaza Strip

Politics

Shopping

Terms of use

Privacy Policy

Submissions

Contact Us

About Us

The first issue of Israel Hayom appeared on July 30, 2007. Israel Hayom was founded on the belief that the Israeli public deserves better, more balanced and more accurate journalism. Journalism that speaks, not shouts. Journalism of a different kind. And free of charge.

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

Newsletter

[contact-form-7 id=”508379″ html_id=”isrh_form_Newsletter_en” title=”newsletter_subscribe”]

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il