Israel Hayom is a media organization founded on the belief that the Israeli public deserves better journalism—more balanced, more accurate, and more reliable. Journalism that speaks rather than shouts. Journalism that is trustworthy, objective, and matter-of-fact. A different kind of journalism, offered free of charge. The first print edition was published on July 30, 2007, and in 2010 Israel Hayom became the Israeli newspaper with the highest weekday readership. The newspaper’s publisher is Dr. Miriam Adelson. Its Editor-in-Chief is Omar Lachmanovitch, and its founding editor is Amos Regev. Israel Hayom’s Hebrew and English websites, as well as its Android and iOS applications, provide around-the-clock news coverage, exclusive content, breaking news and updates, analysis and commentary, video, podcasts, and live broadcasts. The digital platforms of Israel Hayom include news and opinion channels covering culture and entertainment, lifestyle, technology, sports, business and consumer affairs, health, military affairs, food, Judaism, tourism, and automobiles. In 2021, a new Hebrew-language website and mobile application were launched to provide users with a fast, up-to-date, secure, and convenient experience. The content of the newspaper’s print edition is also available online through a daily digital edition and can be received via newsletter. “The Israel Hayom Clique,” the publication’s exclusive benefits club, offers website users discounts and special promotions on products and services. Israel Hayom welcomes feedback, criticism, and suggestions for improvement from its readers. You can contact the organization by email at hayom@israelhayom.co.il

Sunday Jul 19, 2026
NEWSLETTER
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
Home News Middle East Iran & The Gulf

Iran's president says Israel behind killing of nuclear mastermind

Israel insists Iran still maintains the ambition of developing nuclear weapons, pointing to Tehran's ballistic missile program and research into other technologies. Iran long has maintained that its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes.

by  AP and ILH Staff
Published on  12-15-2020 07:59
Last modified: 01-07-2021 08:59
Senior US official: Israel behind assassination of Iran's nuclear chiefReuters via WANA

Scene of the assassination of Mohsen Fakhrizadeh outside Tehran, Nov. 27, 2020 (Reuters via WANA) | Photo: Reuters via WANA

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Iran's President Hassan Rouhani on Monday claimed that Israel was behind the killing of a scientist who founded the Islamic Republic's military nuclear program in the 2000s in an effort to start a war in the last days of President Trump's administration.

Follow Israel Hayom on Facebook and Twitter 

Rouhani's comments in a news conference marked the first time he has directly accused the Jewish state of carrying out the killing of Mohsen Fakhrizadeh late last month.

Israel, long suspected of killing Iranian nuclear scientists over the last decade, has repeatedly declined to comment on the attack.

"Waging instability and war in the final days of the Trump administration was the main aim of the Zionist regime in the assassination," Rouhani said.

Rouhani vowed to avenge the killing but said his country will not allow Israel to decide the "time or venue" of any retaliatory action. He said Iran will not allow instability in the region.

Fakhrizadeh headed Iran's so-called AMAD program, which Israel and the West have alleged was a military operation looking at the feasibility of building a nuclear weapon. The International Atomic Energy Agency says that "structured program" ended in 2003. US intelligence agencies concurred with that assessment in a 2007 report.

After the killing of Fakhrizadeh, a top Iranian security official, Ali Shamkhani, accused Israel of using "electronic devices" to remotely kill the scientist.

Israel insists Iran still maintains the ambition of developing nuclear weapons, pointing to Tehran's ballistic missile program and research into other technologies. Iran long has maintained that its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes.

Rouhani also referred Monday to the 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and world powers, from which President Donald Trump removed the US in 2018. "We believe the situation will be changed under the new US administration," he said.

President-elect Joe Biden has said the US could potentially return to the nuclear deal.

In November, Elliott Abrams, the US special representative for Iran, insisted that a pressure campaign of sanctions targeting Iran would continue into the Biden administration.

Abrams said sanctions targeting Iran for human rights violations, its ballistic missile program and its regional influence would remain in place.

"The missile program and regional issues have no link to the nuclear deal," said Rouhani. "These are not matters of discussion, at all."

Rouhani also said the reaction of the European Union to Saturday's execution of Iranian journalist Ruhollah Zam, whose work helped inspire nationwide economic protests in 2017, was an "intervention" in Iran's domestic affairs.

Iran on Sunday summoned the German and French envoys to Tehran after the European Union condemned Zam's execution by hanging.

Rouhani said the case was handled according to Iranian law. "A court has reviewed the case and issued the verdict. We do act in the framework of our regulations."

Rouhani said he thought it unlikely the case would harm Iran's relations with Europe.

Zam, 47, had been imprisoned in Iran after Iranian authorities seized him while he was traveling in neighboring Iraq last year. He had been living in exile in France before that.

The German Foreign Ministry on Saturday expressed shock at the circumstances of Zam's sentencing and what it described as his "abduction from abroad" and forced return to Iran.

"This is a barbarous and unacceptable act," the French Foreign Ministry said in a statement, which condemned the hanging as a "grave blow" to freedom of speech in Iran.

Subscribe to Israel Hayom's daily newsletter and never miss our top stories!

On Monday, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet in a statement also condemned Zam's execution. "His death sentence and execution by hanging are emblematic of a pattern of forced confessions extracted under torture."

Zam's website, AmadNews, and a channel he created on the popular messaging app Telegram had reported the timings of the 2017 protests and embarrassing information about officials that directly challenged Iran's Shiite theocracy.

Zam is one of three opposition figures apparently detained in intelligence operations abroad in the last two years.

Related Posts

Trump vows US response after Iran downs Apache helicopter over Strait of Hormuz

US-Iran escalation appears inevitable

by Neta Bar

Kuwait says it intercepted Iranian drones and ballistic missiles after another night of US strikes as Tehran threatens: “US troops...

Report: Mojtaba Khamenei is not in Iran

Report: Mojtaba Khamenei is not in Iran

by Shachar Kleiman

According to an Israeli security official, Iran’s new supreme leader is no longer in the country, while Islamic Revolutionary Guard...

US shifts course, strikes strategic bridges leading to Bandar Abbas

US shifts course, strikes strategic bridges leading to Bandar Abbas

by Dudi Kogan

At least seven bridges, a railway junction and an observation tower were targeted in southern Iran. US Central Command says...

Menu

Analysis 

Archaeology

Blogpost

Business & Finance

Culture

Exclusive

Explainer

Environment

 

Features

Health

In Brief

Jewish World

Judea and Samaria

Lifestyle

Cyber & Internet

Sports

 

Diplomacy 

Iran & The Gulf

Gaza Strip

Politics

Shopping

Terms of use

Privacy Policy

Submissions

Contact Us

About Us

The first issue of Israel Hayom appeared on July 30, 2007. Israel Hayom was founded on the belief that the Israeli public deserves better, more balanced and more accurate journalism. Journalism that speaks, not shouts. Journalism of a different kind. And free of charge.

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

Newsletter

[contact-form-7 id=”508379″ html_id=”isrh_form_Newsletter_en” title=”newsletter_subscribe”]

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il