Sunday May 24, 2026
NEWSLETTER
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
Home News

Israel approves civilian benefits for Gaza as nighttime violence continues

Political echelon agrees to expand fishing zone, send in goods and construction equipment, and increase the quota of Gazan laborers allowed to work in Israel.

by  Lilach Shoval , Daniel Siryoti and AP
Published on  09-01-2021 08:00
Last modified: 09-01-2021 08:00
Israel approves civilian benefits for Gaza as nighttime violence continuesAP/Khalil Hamra

30 truckloads of cement, 120 trucks of gravel and 15 trucks of steel entered Gaza on Tuesday | File photo: AP/Khalil Hamra

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Despite the ongoing unrest at Israel's border with the Gaza Strip, Israel's top political echelon decided early Wednesday on a series of steps to ease conditions for Gaza's residents, including expanding the Gazan fishing zone to 15 nautical miles and opening the Kerem Shalom crossing to shipments of goods and equipment.

Follow Israel Hayom on Facebook and Twitter

Bassam Ghabin, director of the Palestinian side of the Kerem Shalom cargo crossing, said that 30 truckloads of cement, 120 trucks of gravel and 15 trucks of steel entered Gaza on Tuesday. He said the materials began entering on Monday, and that the crossing was operating almost at the same capacity as before the war.

An Israeli security official confirmed that building materials had entered Gaza. He had no specific details, but said they came under previously announced government decisions.

The government also decided to increase the amount of water it supplies to Gaza by an additional 5 million cubes.

The quota on the number of Gazan laborers allowed into Israel through the Erez Crossing was increased by 5,000, which bumps the total quota to 7,000.

The actions taken were conditional upon relative calm remaining in place, and will be re-evaluated as necessary. They The came during a tense period in which Hamas terrorists have launched incendiary balloons into Israel, sparking a number of wildfires across the border, and staged a series of sometimes violent demonstrations along the separation fence with Israel.

A Border Police officer who was shot by a protester on Aug. 21 died of his wounds on Monday. Two Palestinians, including a 12-year-old boy and a Hamas terrorist, have also been killed from Israeli gunfire.

In recent weeks, the IDF's Coordinator for Government Activities in the Territories (COGAT) said it was planning to allow more goods into Gaza if the security situation stabilized. Last week, it said it would "expand the entry of goods and equipment for international civilian projects in the Gaza Strip."

Later on Tuesday, Hama  continued nighttime riots along the Israeli border. Gaza health officials said three Palestinians were lightly wounded by Israeli gunfire.

Subscribe to Israel Hayom's daily newsletter and never miss our top stories!

Related Posts

Donald Trump

Trump: US won't rush Iran deal, blockade remains until agreement is reached

by Dudi Kogan

The US president addressed the emerging talks with Tehran and made clear that the naval blockade on the country’s ports...

Russia aiding Iran with intelligence on US military assets

Iran bought drone tech through UAE, then used it to attack it

by Neta Bar

Financial Times report shows Quds Force operatives managed to purchase Chinese hardware for military use through a Dubai-based front company....

Netanyahu heads to Washington fearing limited Iran nuclear deal

Israeli officials admit 'Iran is Trump's' and point to another worrying front

by Ariel Kahana

The inner cabinet discussed developments with Hezbollah late into the night, with much less focus on Iran. Israeli officials believe...

Menu

Analysis 

Archaeology

Blogpost

Business & Finance

Culture

Exclusive

Explainer

Environment

 

Features

Health

In Brief

Jewish World

Judea and Samaria

Lifestyle

Cyber & Internet

Sports

 

Diplomacy 

Iran & The Gulf

Gaza Strip

Politics

Shopping

Terms of use

Privacy Policy

Submissions

Contact Us

About Us

The first issue of Israel Hayom appeared on July 30, 2007. Israel Hayom was founded on the belief that the Israeli public deserves better, more balanced and more accurate journalism. Journalism that speaks, not shouts. Journalism of a different kind. And free of charge.

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

Newsletter

[contact-form-7 id=”508379″ html_id=”isrh_form_Newsletter_en” title=”newsletter_subscribe”]

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il