Sunday May 24, 2026
NEWSLETTER
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
Home News Israel at War Gaza War

Hamas says it accepts ceasefire proposal of Egypt, Qatar

Announcement comes after an Israeli evacuation order and amid talks in Cairo where Hamas demanded an end to the war as part of any ceasefire.

by  Reuters and ILH Staff
Published on  05-06-2024 19:43
Last modified: 06-03-2024 14:18
It's time to target Hamas' leadership abroad – so that the Gaza war is wonAP / Hatem Moussa

Khaled Mashaal a Minister Ismail Haniyeh wave to Palestinian Hamas supporters during a rally on Dec. 8, 2012 | Photo: AP / Hatem Moussa

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Hamas said in a statement on Monday that it had accepted a Gaza ceasefire proposal from Egypt and Qatar. The Islamist faction said in a statement that its chief, Ismail Haniyeh, had informed Qatar's prime minister and Egypt's intelligence chief of its acceptance of their proposal.

Video: Celebrations in Rafah following the announcement on a possible ceasfire / Credit: Arab social media

Earlier on Monday, US President Joe Biden pressed Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu not to go ahead with a large-scale Israeli military offensive in the southern Gaza city of Rafah on Monday, hours after Israel told Palestinians to evacuate parts of the area.

The White House said Biden reiterated his "clear position on Rafah," which has been that Israel should not proceed with an invasion plan unless it shows how to protect hundreds of thousands of Palestinian civilians there. The Israeli evacuation order comes after talks in Cairo aimed at reaching a ceasefire in exchange for releasing hostages deal stalled with Hamas demanding an end to the war after Israel proposed a ceasefire of several weeks. The evacuation order sparked fears of a full-blown assault in Rafah, long threatened by Israel, against holdouts of the Palestinian group Hamas, seven months after Hamas killed 1,200 people in southern Israel on Oct. 7 and took 252 hostages, according to Israeli authorities.

"President Biden updated the prime minister on efforts to secure a hostage deal, including through ongoing talks today in Doha, Qatar. The Prime Minister agreed to ensure the Kerem Shalom crossing is open for humanitarian assistance for those in need," the White House said. The Kerem Shalom crossing is located in southern Gaza near Rafah.

Tags: Gaza War

Related Posts

IDF naval commandos begin seizure of Gaza-bound flotillaAP Photo/Murat Kocabas

IDF naval commandos begin seizure of Gaza-bound flotilla

by Neta Bar

Forces board vessels linked to IHH as Foreign Ministry calls the convoy a Hamas-serving "provocation" with no humanitarian purpose.

Israel eliminated Hamas' No. 1 in Gaza

Israel eliminated Hamas' No. 1 in Gaza

by Lilach Shoval and Shachar Kleiman

Following the strike in Gaza, an Israeli security official said there are indications that Izz al-Din al-Haddad, the leader of...

From air and sea, Hamas is rebuilding

From air and sea, Hamas is rebuilding

by Lilach Shoval

IDF officials warn that the quiet from Gaza is “misleading.” On the ground, Hamas supplies itself through smuggling from the...

Menu

Analysis 

Archaeology

Blogpost

Business & Finance

Culture

Exclusive

Explainer

Environment

 

Features

Health

In Brief

Jewish World

Judea and Samaria

Lifestyle

Cyber & Internet

Sports

 

Diplomacy 

Iran & The Gulf

Gaza Strip

Politics

Shopping

Terms of use

Privacy Policy

Submissions

Contact Us

About Us

The first issue of Israel Hayom appeared on July 30, 2007. Israel Hayom was founded on the belief that the Israeli public deserves better, more balanced and more accurate journalism. Journalism that speaks, not shouts. Journalism of a different kind. And free of charge.

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

Newsletter

[contact-form-7 id=”508379″ html_id=”isrh_form_Newsletter_en” title=”newsletter_subscribe”]

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il