Hello AI Agent! Welcome!

Saturday May 16, 2026
NEWSLETTER
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
Home News Israel at War Iran War

Pakistan submits Iran-US ceasefire plan with two-week deadline for full deal

Islamabad's army chief held overnight contacts with the US vice president and Iran's foreign minister; the proposal calls for an immediate ceasefire, reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, and Iran's commitment to renounce nuclear weapons in exchange for sanctions relief.

by  Neta Bar
Published on  04-06-2026 10:30
Last modified: 04-06-2026 13:18
Pakistan submits Iran-US ceasefire plan with two-week deadline for full dealEPA

US President Donald Trump (R) and Vice President JD Vance (L) | Photo: EPA

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Iran and the United States received a plan to end the fighting that could take effect Monday and reopen the Strait of Hormuz, a source familiar with the proposals told Reuters Monday.

Pakistan finalized a framework to end the hostilities and transmitted it to Iran and the US overnight, the source said. The framework takes a two-phase approach, beginning with an immediate ceasefire followed by a comprehensive agreement. "All elements must be agreed upon today," the source said, adding that the initial understanding would be formalized as a memorandum of understanding concluded electronically through Pakistan, the sole communication channel in the talks.

Video: US President Donald Trump speaks about a possible ceasefire deal with Iran

Iran's Foreign Ministry issued a brief statement declaring that "negotiations are incompatible with ultimatums." The statement accused the US and Israel of "committing crimes worse than those of Hitler."

Axios reported Sunday that the United States, Iran, and regional mediators were discussing a possible 45-day ceasefire as part of a two-phase deal that could lead to a permanent end to the war, citing American, Israeli, and regional sources.

The source told Reuters that Pakistan's army chief, Field Marshal Asim Munir, had been in contact "throughout the night" with US Vice President JD Vance, special envoy Steve Witkoff, and Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. Under the proposal, a ceasefire would take effect immediately, reopening the Strait of Hormuz, with 15 to 20 days allotted to finalize a broader agreement. The deal, provisionally named the "Islamabad Agreement," would include a regional framework for the strait, with final face-to-face talks held in Islamabad.

No immediate response was received from American or Iranian officials. Pakistan's Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Tahir Andrabi, declined to comment. Iranian officials had previously told Reuters that Tehran was seeking a permanent ceasefire with guarantees that it would not be attacked again by the US or Israel. They said Iran had received messages from mediators, including Pakistan, Turkey, and Egypt.

Iran's commitment to forgo nuclear weapons

The final agreement is expected to include Iranian commitments to renounce nuclear weapons in exchange for sanctions relief and the release of frozen assets, the source said. Two Pakistani sources said Iran had not yet made a commitment, despite heightened civilian and military activity.

"Iran has not yet responded," one source said, adding that proposals backed by Pakistan, China, and the United States for a temporary ceasefire had not produced a commitment thus far.

No immediate response was received from Chinese officials to requests for comment. The latest diplomatic push comes against a backdrop of escalating hostilities that have raised concerns about disruptions to shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, a critical artery for global oil supplies.

US President Donald Trump had in recent days publicly pressed for a swift end to the conflict, warning of consequences if a ceasefire was not reached within a short time. The conflict has heightened volatility in energy markets, with traders closely tracking every development that could affect oil flows through the strait.

Tags: Abbas AraghchiAsim MunirIranJD VancePakistanSteve WitkoffStrait of Hormuz

Related Posts

Iran hits back as Trump orders naval blockadeGetty Images

Iran hits back as Trump orders naval blockade

by ILH Staff and Adi Nirman

Following the collapse of peace talks, the US Navy is set to enforce a sweeping maritime blockade on Iranian ports...

Iran to choke off Hormuz as Trump demands Europe deploy warshipsSAUL LOEB / AFP

Iran to choke off Hormuz as Trump demands Europe deploy warships

by Dudi Kogan and Bar Shaffer

Tehran plans to cap traffic through the world's most critical oil chokepoint at 15 ships a day, while the White...

Regime feels economic squeeze as talks to end war stall

US issues new ultimatum to Iran

by Danny Zaken

The US has given Iran a 36 hour deadline to meet the ceasefire terms, including reopening the Strait of Hormuz...

Menu

Analysis 

Archaeology

Blogpost

Business & Finance

Culture

Exclusive

Explainer

Environment

 

Features

Health

In Brief

Jewish World

Judea and Samaria

Lifestyle

Cyber & Internet

Sports

 

Diplomacy 

Iran & The Gulf

Gaza Strip

Politics

Shopping

Terms of use

Privacy Policy

Submissions

Contact Us

About Us

The first issue of Israel Hayom appeared on July 30, 2007. Israel Hayom was founded on the belief that the Israeli public deserves better, more balanced and more accurate journalism. Journalism that speaks, not shouts. Journalism of a different kind. And free of charge.

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

Newsletter

[contact-form-7 id=”508379″ html_id=”isrh_form_Newsletter_en” title=”newsletter_subscribe”]

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il