Monday Aug 17, 2026
NEWSLETTER
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
Home News Middle East Trump's Gaza Plan

Israel, US agree Hamas must disarm before IDF withdraws from Gaza

Israel and the US agreed there would be no further withdrawal from Gaza without Hamas disarming under American supervision. According to an Israeli political source, Netanyahu made clear that until the weapons are destroyed, the IDF will remain on the Yellow Line and retain freedom of action against threats. 

by  Shirit Avitan Cohen
Published on  08-17-2026 17:03
Last modified: 08-17-2026 17:03
Israel welcomes Hamas' concession, warns of traps ahead

Hamas terrorists in Gaza. Photo: AP

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Following Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's meeting with US administration officials and members of the Board of Peace Monday, a Israeli political source said that "it was agreed that there would be no withdrawal without Hamas disarming." In other words, the first condition for any future move in Gaza will be the disarmament of Hamas, effectively under US supervision rather than that of mediating countries such as Turkey and Qatar.

"Hamas will hand over its weapons for destruction under the supervision of US Maj. Gen. Jasper Jeffers," the political source said. At the same time, "the IDF will be granted and will retain freedom of action to eliminate threats, including Nukhba terrorists," referring to members of Hamas' elite commando force. This differs from the Board of Peace's initial document on the issue.

Earlier, Netanyahu met in Jerusalem with US presidential adviser Jared Kushner, former British Prime Minister Tony Blair and Board of Peace High Representative for Gaza Nickolay Mladenov. The sides discussed a practical framework for governing the Gaza Strip and disarming Hamas. It was agreed in the meeting that the Board of Peace would carry out sanitation and public health work throughout the Gaza Strip. Netanyahu reiterated that as long as Hamas' weapons had not been destroyed, the Israel Defense Forces would remain along the Yellow Line and defend Israel from there.

The four-way meeting was held in an effort to formulate an actionable framework for the administration of Gaza that would address Israel's security requirements. At the center of the discussions was the 15-point agreement, which Netanyahu previously rejected. Representatives of the Board of Peace and the US administration are now seeking agreement on the stages of its implementation on the ground.

The Yellow Line in the Gaza Strip. Photo: AFP

The emerging framework proposes transferring civilian authority in the Gaza Strip to a technocratic council and laying the groundwork for Hamas' disarmament. Under the plan, Hamas-free "pilot zones" would be established in the Rafah area and northern Gaza, along the lines of a model implemented in Lebanon. Temporary camps would be built in those areas for displaced residents, who would receive education, health care and infrastructure services without involvement from the terrorist organization.

To maintain order in the pilot zones, the proposal calls for an International Stabilization Force to deploy within weeks. The force would initially include troops from Uganda and Kosovo, with Moroccan soldiers joining at a later stage. Israel has previously given its approval in principle to the move, but the operational details and the force's authorities have yet to be finalized.

The plan also calls for renewing the ceasefire under previous terms that allow the IDF to fire on emerging threats and protect troops stationed along the Yellow Line.

Kushner arrived in Israel after holding talks in the Egyptian city of El Alamein with a Hamas delegation and representatives from Qatar, Turkey and Egypt. During those talks, Hamas representatives told Kushner they were prepared to transform the terrorist organization into a political party and accept the roadmap proposed by the Board of Peace. Kushner responded that the US administration required the complete demilitarization of the Gaza Strip to prevent any future threat to Israel.

ארה"ב וישראל סיכמו על פירוק חמאס מנשקו כתנאי מקדים. ג'ארד קושנר , רויטרס
Jared Kushner. Photo: Reuters

The fact that Kushner, Blair and Mladenov arrived directly from a meeting with senior Hamas officials in Egypt was poorly received in Jerusalem, according to conversations with Israeli officials.

Tags: Board of PeaceGaza Strip

Related Posts

Trump's message to Netanyahu revealedIDF Spokesperson’s Unit, Koko, Reuters

Diplomats fear Trump is losing influence

by ILH Staff

According to Politico, diplomats warn that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s rejection of the 15-point plan could undermine confidence in the...

Trump set deadline for Israel to end the warAFP, Chaim Goldberg/Flash90, Reuters

Israel admits: 'We may clash with Trump administration over Gaza'

by Shirit Avitan Cohen

Israeli diplomatic officials acknowledge disagreements between Jerusalem and Washington over the 15-point document concerning an Israeli withdrawal from Gaza and...

IDF report details daily Hamas violations of Trump's Gaza Plan

IDF report details daily Hamas violations of Trump's Gaza Plan

by Shirit Avitan Cohen

The IDF compiles a daily report documenting Hamas violations and sends it to Washington as Israel demands that roadmap not...

Menu

Analysis 

Archaeology

Blogpost

Business & Finance

Culture

Exclusive

Explainer

Environment

 

Features

Health

In Brief

Jewish World

Judea and Samaria

Lifestyle

Cyber & Internet

Sports

 

Diplomacy 

Iran & The Gulf

Gaza Strip

Politics

Shopping

Terms of use

Privacy Policy

Submissions

Contact Us

About Us

The first issue of Israel Hayom appeared on July 30, 2007. Israel Hayom was founded on the belief that the Israeli public deserves better, more balanced and more accurate journalism. Journalism that speaks, not shouts. Journalism of a different kind. And free of charge.

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

Newsletter

[contact-form-7 id=”508379″ html_id=”isrh_form_Newsletter_en” title=”newsletter_subscribe”]

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il