Thursday Aug 13, 2026
NEWSLETTER
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
Home News Middle East

Report: Hezbollah rejects Russian request to withdraw from Syrian positions

by  Daniel Siryoti
Published on  06-15-2018 00:00
Last modified: 06-15-2018 00:00
Report: Hezbollah rejects Russian request to withdraw from Syrian positions

Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Hezbollah, the Lebanon-based Shiite terrorist organization, has rejected Russian demands to withdraw its forces from the Lebanese-Syrian border, a prominent Syrian rights group indicated Thursday.

According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, Hezbollah is still in the al-Qusayr area southwest of Homs and the Jusiyyeh crossing area on the border.

Russia reportedly demanded that Hezbollah pull out of Syria following an alleged Israeli airstrike on May 25 that was said to have targeted Hezbollah munitions depots at the al-Qusayr air base. The area is a known Hezbollah stronghold, also housing other Iran-backed militias.

In a dramatic diplomatic development on May 28, it was revealed that Israel and Russia had reached understandings whereby only Syrian President Bashar Assad's army – not Iran or its Shiite proxy militias, including Hezbollah – will take up positions near the border with Israel.

Under the agreement, an Israeli official said, not only will Russia enforce its commitment to keep Iran's militias and Hezbollah forces from the border, it will publicly call on all foreign forces to leave Syrian soil – among them the United States and Turkey.

On May 30, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said the withdrawal of all non-Syrian forces from Syria's southern border with Israel should happen as soon as possible.

The Observatory reported no clashes between Hezbollah and Russian forces, but said the Russians were adamant about the terrorist group's withdrawal from its positions along the border.

Meanwhile, sources linked to Syrian rebel factions told the Wall Street Journal earlier this week that Hezbollah terrorists and other Iran-backed militants were fighting alongside Syrian soldiers near the Israeli border disguised in Syrian army uniforms.

On Thursday, Israel Hayom reported that Russia had conveyed a message to Israel and other countries in the region to avoid an escalation in the Syrian civil war during the month-long World Cup soccer tournament, currently underway in Russia.

Related Posts

Trump's message to Netanyahu revealedIDF Spokesperson’s Unit, Koko, Reuters

Diplomats fear Trump is losing influence

by ILH Staff

According to Politico, diplomats warn that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s rejection of the 15-point plan could undermine confidence in the...

Israel assesses Assad to allow Iranian forces into Syria

Syria sentences Bashar al-Assad to death

by Shachar Kleiman

Damascus court convicts ousted Syrian dictator of premeditated murder and crimes against humanity. His cousin Atef Najib, former political security...

Arab state urged another to make peace with Israel as cover for war

Arab state urged another to make peace with Israel as cover for war

by ILH Staff

The proposal was made to another Arab country during discussions over a possible agreement with Israel, with censorship restrictions prohibiting...

Menu

Analysis 

Archaeology

Blogpost

Business & Finance

Culture

Exclusive

Explainer

Environment

 

Features

Health

In Brief

Jewish World

Judea and Samaria

Lifestyle

Cyber & Internet

Sports

 

Diplomacy 

Iran & The Gulf

Gaza Strip

Politics

Shopping

Terms of use

Privacy Policy

Submissions

Contact Us

About Us

The first issue of Israel Hayom appeared on July 30, 2007. Israel Hayom was founded on the belief that the Israeli public deserves better, more balanced and more accurate journalism. Journalism that speaks, not shouts. Journalism of a different kind. And free of charge.

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

Newsletter

[contact-form-7 id=”508379″ html_id=”isrh_form_Newsletter_en” title=”newsletter_subscribe”]

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il