North Korea is upgrading its only known militarized nuclear reactor despite its pledge to the United States to pursue nuclear disarmament, satellite images showed Wednesday.
"Commercial satellite imagery from June 21 indicates that improvements to the infrastructure at North Korea's Yongbyon Nuclear Scientific Research Center are continuing at a rapid pace," the 38 North analysis by monitoring group said on its website.
"Modifications to the 5 MWe plutonium production reactor's cooling system appear complete, but a less-than-normal cooling water discharge from the outfall pipe makes a determination of the reactor's operational status difficult. The status of the Radiochemical Laboratory – used to separate plutonium from spent fuel rods – remains uncertain, although the associated Thermal Plant has likely continued operations, and a small non-industrial building of an unknown purpose has been newly erected near the cooling tower."

"Construction continues on support facilities throughout other operational areas of Yongbyon, especially at the Experimental Light Water Reactor, where the new engineering office building appears externally complete and a small building similar to the one observed at the Radiochemical Laboratory has been erected," it said.
In his June 12 summit in Singapore with U.S. President Donald Trump, North Korean leader Kim Jong UN committed to "complete denuclearization," but no outline or deadline was set for these efforts.
Earlier this year, North Korea announced that its nuclear arsenal, which it claims includes intercontinental ballistic missiles that can strike U.S., was complete. Pyongyang closed its only known nuclear test site in May.
"Infrastructure improvements continue at Yongbyon. Underscores reason why an actual deal is necessary, not just a statement of lofty goals," Jenny Town, managing editor of 38 North, tweeted.
The status of other areas in the Yongbyon nuclear complex remains unclear, and experts cautioned linking ongoing improvements to negotiations with the U.S., The Guardian reported.
"Continued work at the Yongbyon facility should not be seen as having any relationship to North Korea's pledge to denuclearize. The North's nuclear cadre can be expected to proceed with business as usual until specific orders are issued from Pyongyang," the report said.


