Saturday Aug 22, 2026
NEWSLETTER
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
Home News Middle East

Report: Gulf, Arab countries coordinate securing maritime traffic

Persian Gulf nations try to devise ways to protect vessels sailing through strategic Strait of Hormuz in wake for rising tensions in the area. US sees European maritime security effort in Gulf as "complementary"

by  Reuters and Israel Hayom Staff
Published on  07-25-2019 11:36
Last modified: 07-25-2019 10:39
Report: Gulf, Arab countries coordinate securing maritime trafficMorteza Akhoondi/Tasnim News Agency via AP

An Iranian speedboat trains a weapon toward the British-flagged oil tanker Stena Impero, seized in the Strait of Hormuz last week | Photo: Morteza Akhoondi/Tasnim News Agency via AP

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Kuwait Ports Authority manager said on Wednesday that there is coordination between Gulf and Arab countries to secure the safety of maritime traffic in the Persian Gulf waters, state news agency KUNA reported.

Sheikh Yousef Abdullah al-Nasser al-Sabah also said the impact of the latest developments in the Gulf region, after Iran seized a British-flagged tanker, was "slight on Kuwaiti ports traffic". He added that there are "alternative plans for any developments in the region," KUNA quoted him as saying.

Follow Israel Hayom on Facebook and Twitter

Meanwhile, the United States believes a proposed European initiative to bolster maritime security in the Gulf would complement ongoing US efforts there instead of being a "stand-alone" operation, the top US general said on Wednesday.

Washington in June first proposed some sort of multinational effort open to all allies and partners to bolster maritime security in the Gulf after accusing Iran of attacking oil tankers around the Strait of Hormuz, a critical maritime chokepoint between Iran and Oman.

Britain called this week for a European-led naval mission to ensure safe shipping through the strait after Iran seized a British-flagged tanker, raising questions about whether the US initiative would move ahead separately.

Asked about the British proposal, US Marine General Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said his discussions "right now wouldn't indicate that that's a stand-alone effort that's separate from ours."

"I view that as a European contribution to maritime security that would be complementary, if not integrated, with what the United States is doing," Dunford told a small group of reporters traveling with him in Afghanistan. He did not say whether he had discussed the matter directly with Britain.

Dunford said the US military's Central Command, which is headquartered in Tampa, Florida, would host a "force generation conference" on Thursday on the US initiative. Such events usually aim to see what kinds of military assets partner nations might be able to contribute.

In Washington, Defense Secretary Mark Esper echoed Dunford's comments, saying the European initiative was "complementary" and that there would be coordination.

"I think it's all helpful," Esper told reporters. "It's all sending the same messages we're trying to send - that is, freedom of navigation and no provocative acts in the strait."

Washington's major European allies have distanced themselves from President Donald Trump's Iran strategy and opposed his decision last year to abandon an international agreement that gave Iran access to trade in return for accepting curbs on its nuclear program.

Reuters reported on Tuesday that the British proposal for a European-led initiative had won some support in European capitals and quoted one diplomat saying it was easier to rally around the British proposal than the American one.

Related Posts

Iran threatens attacks on Europe if US 'goes too far'Wikimedia Commons, EPA

Iran threatens attacks on Europe if US 'goes too far'

by Adi Nirman

Tehran exploring options to strike American installations in southeastern Europe and subsea cables in the event that President Donald Trump...

Iran's nightmare: Hormuz slipping through fingers

Iran's nightmare: Hormuz slipping through fingers

by Erez Linn

With most vessels choosing the US-protected Omani route, Iran's grip on the waterway is fading.

Turkish troops may be allowed to enter Gaza despite denials

Israel confirms Syria strike: 'We repeatedly warned Syria' over Turkish troop deployment

by Shirit Avitan Cohen

Prime Minister's Office says Damascus was about to violate an agreed security status quo. US envoy Tom Barrack: Turkey was...

Menu

Analysis 

Archaeology

Blogpost

Business & Finance

Culture

Exclusive

Explainer

Environment

 

Features

Health

In Brief

Jewish World

Judea and Samaria

Lifestyle

Cyber & Internet

Sports

 

Diplomacy 

Iran & The Gulf

Gaza Strip

Politics

Shopping

Terms of use

Privacy Policy

Submissions

Contact Us

About Us

The first issue of Israel Hayom appeared on July 30, 2007. Israel Hayom was founded on the belief that the Israeli public deserves better, more balanced and more accurate journalism. Journalism that speaks, not shouts. Journalism of a different kind. And free of charge.

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

Newsletter

[contact-form-7 id=”508379″ html_id=”isrh_form_Newsletter_en” title=”newsletter_subscribe”]

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il