Israel Hayom is a media organization founded on the belief that the Israeli public deserves better journalism—more balanced, more accurate, and more reliable. Journalism that speaks rather than shouts. Journalism that is trustworthy, objective, and matter-of-fact. A different kind of journalism, offered free of charge. The first print edition was published on July 30, 2007, and in 2010 Israel Hayom became the Israeli newspaper with the highest weekday readership. The newspaper’s publisher is Dr. Miriam Adelson. Its Editor-in-Chief is Omar Lachmanovitch, and its founding editor is Amos Regev. Israel Hayom’s Hebrew and English websites, as well as its Android and iOS applications, provide around-the-clock news coverage, exclusive content, breaking news and updates, analysis and commentary, video, podcasts, and live broadcasts. The digital platforms of Israel Hayom include news and opinion channels covering culture and entertainment, lifestyle, technology, sports, business and consumer affairs, health, military affairs, food, Judaism, tourism, and automobiles. In 2021, a new Hebrew-language website and mobile application were launched to provide users with a fast, up-to-date, secure, and convenient experience. The content of the newspaper’s print edition is also available online through a daily digital edition and can be received via newsletter. “The Israel Hayom Clique,” the publication’s exclusive benefits club, offers website users discounts and special promotions on products and services. Israel Hayom welcomes feedback, criticism, and suggestions for improvement from its readers. You can contact the organization by email at hayom@israelhayom.co.il

Monday Aug 17, 2026
NEWSLETTER
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
Home News Middle East

Russian-backed forces preparing to resume offensive, Syrian rebels say

After second day of raids by what are believed to be Russian jets in northwestern Syria, opposition says new reinforcements from Russian special forces, Iranian-backed militias and elite Syrian army units arriving daily and amassing on front lines in southern Idlib.

by  Reuters and Israel Hayom Staff
Published on  09-12-2019 09:48
Last modified: 01-24-2022 13:16
Russian-backed forces preparing to resume offensive, Syrian rebels sayReuters

Russian jets are seen flying over Syria | File photo: Reuters

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Syrian rebel fighters on Wednesday said Russian-backed forces were amassing troops in preparation for resuming a five-month offensive in northwestern Syria after the second day of raids by jets which are believed to be Russian and threatened to end a fragile ceasefire.

The jets that flew overnight at high altitudes struck a village near Kafr Takharim and an area near the town of Darkush, both in rural areas in western Idlib province, two opposition sources and a resident in the area said.

Follow Israel Hayom on Facebook and Twitter

The overnight bombing raid came hours after airstrikes hit a part of the northwest for the first time since the truce was declared 11 days ago, according to activists and a monitor. Moscow denied conducting the first strikes.

Russia said the Syrian government unilaterally agreed to a truce on Aug. 31 in opposition-controlled Idlib, where a "de-escalation zone" was brokered two years ago between Russia and Turkey.

Since then, there has been an end to the intense airstrikes by Russian and Syrian warplanes that since late April had accompanied the Russian-backed ground offensive to retake the last rebel bastion.

The Syrian army, aided by Iran-backed militias, also pounded several towns in southern Idlib, including Kafr Sejnah and Hizareen, in what the opposition says has been a persistent pattern of shelling of rebel-held areas despite the truce deal.

"Artillery shelling that has targeted villages of southern Idlib has not stopped since the alleged ceasefire," Mohammad Rashid, spokesman for the Jaysh al-Nasr rebel group said.

The rebel official said jets believed to be Russian also hit for the second time a commanding height known as Kabaneh in the mountainous province of Latakia where rebels have for months withstood intense aerial bombing, after a similar raid on Tuesday.

Russian troops amassing

Rebels say that the Russian-led alliance that brings together elite army units and Iranian-backed militias was using the lull in fighting to reorganize their forces.

A week before the ceasefire, Moscow and its allies captured the strategic town of Khan Sheihkoun in the most significant advance against rebels since the start of the military offensive.

The opposition says new reinforcements from Russian special forces, Iranian-backed militias, and elite Syrian army units were arriving daily and amassing on front lines in southern Idlib.

Several attempts by small crack units of Russian forces and Kremlin-linked private military contractors had been repelled in the last week, rebels say.

"The amassing of Iranian militias and Russian ground troops are all signals that something is being prepared for a new offensive," Major Youssef Hamoud, a spokesman of the Turkey-backed National Army, a coalition of mainstream rebel factions, said.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said in August that Russian forces were fighting on the ground in Idlib to defeat militant Islamist groups Moscow and its Syrian ally blame for violating the de-escalation arrangement reached with Ankara.

The deployment of Russian special forces and Iranian-backed forces succeeded in breaking months of stalemate on the front lines, where rebels had until then been holding back the army from major advances, Western intelligence sources say.

The capture of Khan Sheikhoun brought Moscow closer to regaining control over two of Syria's most important pre-war highways from Aleppo to Hama and Latakia, on the Mediterranean coast.

"The goals that Russia has set have still not been achieved, which is taking the highways and trying to restore the regime's pre-war commercial arteries," Hamoud said.

The northwest offensive, in which non-governmental organizations and rights groups have accused the Russian-led alliance of using "scorched earth" bombing tactics, has prompted warnings by the United Nations and aid agencies of a new humanitarian crisis.

Hundreds of civilians have been killed while over a half a million people have been uprooted from villages and towns that now lay in ruins and sought shelter at the border with Turkey.

Tags: IdlibIranRussiaSyriaSyrian rebels

Related Posts

Israel welcomes Hamas' concession, warns of traps ahead

Israel, US agree Hamas must disarm before IDF withdraws from Gaza

by Shirit Avitan Cohen

Israel and the US agreed there would be no further withdrawal from Gaza without Hamas disarming under American supervision. According...

IDF reveals Iran's plan for Passover never fully materialized

Iran used deal to prepare for wider war

by ILH Staff

As the White House celebrated a diplomatic achievement, intelligence indicates Tehran used the “window of opportunity” to rapidly rebuild its...

Beaufort's capture won't bring quiet but Its significance goes much deeper

Israel reportedly preparing major operation in Lebanon

by Shachar Kleiman

Lebanese channel Al-Jadeed cited a source familiar with the matter, saying “Israel is preparing to take full control of the...

Menu

Analysis 

Archaeology

Blogpost

Business & Finance

Culture

Exclusive

Explainer

Environment

 

Features

Health

In Brief

Jewish World

Judea and Samaria

Lifestyle

Cyber & Internet

Sports

 

Diplomacy 

Iran & The Gulf

Gaza Strip

Politics

Shopping

Terms of use

Privacy Policy

Submissions

Contact Us

About Us

The first issue of Israel Hayom appeared on July 30, 2007. Israel Hayom was founded on the belief that the Israeli public deserves better, more balanced and more accurate journalism. Journalism that speaks, not shouts. Journalism of a different kind. And free of charge.

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

Newsletter

[contact-form-7 id=”508379″ html_id=”isrh_form_Newsletter_en” title=”newsletter_subscribe”]

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il