Wednesday May 20, 2026
NEWSLETTER
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
Home News

Egypt concerned by Israel-Gaza conflict as early mediation efforts falter

Cairo traditionally assumes the role of mediator when hostilities erupt between the Jewish state and the terrorist group controlling the Gaza Strip.

by  Daniel Siryoti and Neta Bar
Published on  05-11-2021 12:44
Last modified: 05-11-2021 12:58
Massive barrage targets Tel Aviv area, at least 1 killedReuters/Amir Cohen

Streaks of light are seen as Israel's Iron Dome defense system intercepts rockets launched from the Gaza Strip at Ashkelon, May 10, 2021 | Photo: Reuters/Amir Cohen

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Egypt on Tuesday expressed concern about a prolonged conflict between Hamas and Israel, saying that so far, Jerusalem has rejected mediation efforts.

Follow Israel Hayom on Facebook and Twitter 

Cairo traditionally assumes the role of mediator between the Jewish state and the terrorist group controlling the Gaza Strip.

Recent tensions in Jerusalem are threatening to plunge the area into a full-blown conflict. Hamas and Islamic Jihad terrorists have fired over 250 rockets at Israel since Monday night, threatening further escalation unless Israel ceases so-called "violations" in east Jerusalem and the Al-Aqsa Mosque.

The IDF has mounted a series of airstrikes on Gaza, destroying 130 terrorist targets and killing 15 terrorists so far. On noon Tuesday, Defense Minister Benny Gantz approved military plans for additional strikes, as well as mobilizing 5,000 reservists.

The military campaign has been officially dubbed Operation Guardian of the Walls.

A senior Egyptian intelligence official told Israel Hayom Tuesday that "the last time Israel didn't respond to mediation attempts with Hamas was in 2014. We hope we don't see prolonged hostilities."

The summer of 2014 saw Israel launch Operation Protective Edge – a 50-day military campaign meant to eliminate Hamas rocket fire on Israel.

Earlier Tuesday, another Egyptian intelligence source said that mediation efforts and attempts to de-escalate the situation vis-à-vis Gaza were suspended over Israel's disinterest in the process at this time.

"Hamas and the armed factions in Gaza failed to properly assess Israel's response [to Monday's rocket fire on Jerusalem] and now Hamas has its back against the wall," he said.

"We are very concerned about the possibility that the escalation in Gaza will lead to a wide-scale military confrontation that will claim many lives," he said.

Subscribe to Israel Hayom's daily newsletter and never miss our top stories!

Related Posts

Trump faces four military options as US reinforces near Iran

Inside the Iranian offer that led Trump to delay a strike

by Danny Zaken and Lilach Shoval

The Revolutionary Guards sent a message indicating possible flexibility on the nuclear issue. Trump decided to consult with leaders of...

Mass wedding in the streets of Tehran

With public weddings and weapons classes, Iran prepares for war

by Dudi Kogan

Amid growing tensions over the possible resumption of the war, Iran is holding mass ceremonies to boost morale. Crowds in...

Phase two of Trump's Gaza plan begins

Trump's Board of Peace report: Hamas blocking Gaza reconstruction

by Shirit Avitan Cohen

According to the Board of Peace report to the UN Security Council, humanitarian aid to Gaza has increased by 70%...

Menu

Analysis 

Archaeology

Blogpost

Business & Finance

Culture

Exclusive

Explainer

Environment

 

Features

Health

In Brief

Jewish World

Judea and Samaria

Lifestyle

Cyber & Internet

Sports

 

Diplomacy 

Iran & The Gulf

Gaza Strip

Politics

Shopping

Terms of use

Privacy Policy

Submissions

Contact Us

About Us

The first issue of Israel Hayom appeared on July 30, 2007. Israel Hayom was founded on the belief that the Israeli public deserves better, more balanced and more accurate journalism. Journalism that speaks, not shouts. Journalism of a different kind. And free of charge.

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

Newsletter

[contact-form-7 id=”508379″ html_id=”isrh_form_Newsletter_en” title=”newsletter_subscribe”]

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il