Monday May 18, 2026
NEWSLETTER
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
Home News Middle East Iran & The Gulf

US prepares for attack on Iran

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu convened the limited cabinet, with the discussion focused on what appears to be another possible round of fighting with Iran. Trump: The Iranians "want to make a deal more than ever."

by  Ariel Kahana and Dudi Kogan
Published on  05-18-2026 20:55
Last modified: 05-18-2026 21:13
US rejects Iran's ceasefire request

US President Donald Trump. Photo: AP, AFP

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu convened the limited security cabinet again Monday evening, with the discussion focused on what appears to be another possible round of fighting with Iran. A source briefed on US moves said another US strike on the Islamic Republic was "not a question of if, but when."

Israeli security officials said steps and preparations had been taken ahead of the possibility of another round. The assessment is that this round will last several days and will be the last one for the near future. According to the source briefed on the US moves, the planned attack will be different from previous ones and will hit targets that US President Donald Trump has so far avoided touching.

A B-2 Spirit stealth bomber that carried out the strike in Iran. Photo: GettyImages, AP

"Not open to any concession"

Trump himself told the New York Post on Monday that he was "not open to any concession" toward Tehran, and that Iran knows "what's going to be happening soon."

Asked about his comment on Friday that he might be satisfied with a 20-year suspension of uranium enrichment, the president said, "I'm not open to anything right now. I can't talk to you about it. Too many things are happening," Trump said.

According to the president, the Iranians "want to make a deal more than ever, because they know what is going to happen soon." Trump said he was not "frustrated" with Tehran, but made clear that the Iranians were well aware that the US was capable of inflicting "additional pain" on them.

Asked about the claim that Iran was playing for time and trying to postpone discussion of the core issues, the nuclear program and the Strait of Hormuz, until US pressure eased, Trump said he had not heard that. "I can't talk to you about it," he added.

Iran, today. Photo: EPA

Not backing down 

Ahead of the next emerging round with Iran, officials in Israel say Trump will not back down from his goal of removing the enriched uranium in Iran's possession. Israeli officials add that it is clear the enriched material must be removed, and that the fact Iran still holds it is "very bad". However, they say, Trump means what he says, and "they will not stop here."

Israeli officials also say that even without removing the enriched material, Iran's nuclear program has already suffered heavy damage. Contrary to the claim being heard in the media, as if Iran's nuclear project is in the same condition it was in before operations "Roaring Lion" and "With the Strength of a Lion," Israeli officials stress that the program has been set back significantly.

The most significant aspect is the damage to weaponization components, meaning the facilities meant to connect a nuclear bomb to a missile. These facilities were bombed, and Iran was therefore deprived of this capability. In addition, about 20 leading nuclear scientists and significant research institutes were eliminated in the two operations. These strikes, officials in Jerusalem believe, have moved Iran significantly farther away from the point at which it stood before the Israeli and US attacks. "It is a complete misunderstanding to claim that if we did not remove the uranium, and did nothing," Israeli officials say.

Tags: IranIsraelUS

Related Posts

Report: Trump likely to reject Iranian proposal

Report: Trump losing patience as Iran launches Hormuz authority body

by Dudi Kogan

An American source tells Al Jazeera that Tehran has days – not weeks – to break the diplomatic deadlock, as...

Iran takes major step toward nuclear capability at key siteIRIB via AP

Iran says uranium enrichment off table in talks with US

by Shachar Kleiman

In the face of President Donald Trump's threats, Iran is hardening its position and taking the issue of nuclear enrichment...

Drone strike sparks blaze outside nuclear facility in Abu DhabiWikimedia Commons

Drone strike sparks blaze outside nuclear facility in Abu Dhabi

by Adi Nirman

Authorities reported damage to a transformer station outside the power plant. There were no casualties in the strike, and no...

Menu

Analysis 

Archaeology

Blogpost

Business & Finance

Culture

Exclusive

Explainer

Environment

 

Features

Health

In Brief

Jewish World

Judea and Samaria

Lifestyle

Cyber & Internet

Sports

 

Diplomacy 

Iran & The Gulf

Gaza Strip

Politics

Shopping

Terms of use

Privacy Policy

Submissions

Contact Us

About Us

The first issue of Israel Hayom appeared on July 30, 2007. Israel Hayom was founded on the belief that the Israeli public deserves better, more balanced and more accurate journalism. Journalism that speaks, not shouts. Journalism of a different kind. And free of charge.

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

Newsletter

[contact-form-7 id=”508379″ html_id=”isrh_form_Newsletter_en” title=”newsletter_subscribe”]

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il