Saturday May 23, 2026
NEWSLETTER
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
  • Home
  • News
    • Israel
    • Israel at War
    • Middle East
    • United States
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
  • In Memoriam
www.israelhayom.com
Home News Middle East Iran & The Gulf US-Iran Talks

Ceasefire draft with Iran includes pledge to avoid nuclear bomb, reopen Strait of Hormuz

Two diplomatic sources tell Israel Hayom that the draft includes a basic Iranian commitment to refrain from obtaining a nuclear bomb, alongside agreement to a long-term postponement of uranium enrichment. The draft calls for a ceasefire during which the Strait of Hormuz would be fully and freely reopened, after which negotiations would begin.

by  Danny Zaken
Published on  05-23-2026 19:25
Last modified: 05-23-2026 23:52
US, Gulf States push UN resolution targeting Iran over Hormuz disruptions

Oil tankers in the Strait of Hormuz. Photo: AFP

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

New details have emerged about the draft deal between the US and Iran: Two diplomatic sources tell Israel Hayom that the draft currently on the table includes a basic Iranian commitment to refrain from obtaining a nuclear bomb, alongside agreement to a long-term postponement of uranium enrichment.

The remaining issues, including the enriched uranium in Iran's possession, are expected to be addressed in the negotiations set to begin during the ceasefire.

טראמפ וקאליבאף , AFP, רויטרס
US President Donald Trump and Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf. Photo: AFP, Reuters

However, according to one of the two sources, Iran's political leadership has made clear that its previous commitment to hand over the enriched uranium, a commitment rejected by commanders of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, depends on the approval of Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. The draft refers to a ceasefire during which the Strait of Hormuz would be fully and freely reopened, after which negotiations are expected to begin. US President Donald Trump is expected to hold talks with regional leaders, including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, to discuss the draft.

One of the sources told Israel Hayom that advanced American preparations were made over the weekend for strikes on designated targets in Iran, with the aim of increasing pressure on the other side.

Iran, today. Photo: EPA

Trump told Axios on Saturday evening that he was expected to meet later in the day with his negotiating team to discuss Iran's latest proposal, and that he would likely decide by Sunday whether to resume the war. In the broader picture, Trump put the chances of reaching a "good" deal at "50/50," compared with the scenario in which he decides to "wipe them out completely."

The Financial Times reported that representatives of Iran, the US and mediator Pakistan said Saturday that progress had been made in the secret talks aimed at ending the war.

Tags: IranIran nuclear talksUS

Related Posts

Iran's new proposal proves US pressure is working

Trump gives Iran another chance after heated White House clash with Vance

by Danny Zaken

A fierce debate ensues at the White House with the president approving continued talks with Iran despite opposition from senior...

Iran takes major step toward nuclear capability at key siteIRIB via AP

Iran says uranium enrichment off table in talks with US

by Shachar Kleiman

In the face of President Donald Trump's threats, Iran is hardening its position and taking the issue of nuclear enrichment...

Report: Trump likely to reject Iranian proposal

Report: Trump losing patience as Iran launches Hormuz authority body

by Dudi Kogan

An American source tells Al Jazeera that Tehran has days – not weeks – to break the diplomatic deadlock, as...

Menu

Analysis 

Archaeology

Blogpost

Business & Finance

Culture

Exclusive

Explainer

Environment

 

Features

Health

In Brief

Jewish World

Judea and Samaria

Lifestyle

Cyber & Internet

Sports

 

Diplomacy 

Iran & The Gulf

Gaza Strip

Politics

Shopping

Terms of use

Privacy Policy

Submissions

Contact Us

About Us

The first issue of Israel Hayom appeared on July 30, 2007. Israel Hayom was founded on the belief that the Israeli public deserves better, more balanced and more accurate journalism. Journalism that speaks, not shouts. Journalism of a different kind. And free of charge.

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il

Newsletter

[contact-form-7 id=”508379″ html_id=”isrh_form_Newsletter_en” title=”newsletter_subscribe”]

  • Home
  • News
    • Israel at War
    • Israel
    • United States
    • Middle East
    • Sports
  • Opinions
  • Jewish World
    • Archaeology
    • Antisemitism
  • Lifestyle
    • Food
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • Culture
  • Magazine
    • Feature
    • Analysis
    • Explainer
    • Environment & Wildlife
    • Health & Wellness
  • In Memoriam
  • Subscribe to Newsletter
  • Submit your opinion
  • Terms and conditions

All rights reserved to Israel Hayom

Hosted by sPD.co.il